I'm not sure. "People change", I've heard the use of this line a lot(even from myself a few times) without actually thinking that much about it. It's usually said in a dismissive way to get off the topic of a person you don't feel like talking about or to console someone when they're wondering what the hell happened to someone they knew very well/liked/loved etc etc, well at least I've faced only these situations I guess. During one of these sort of conversations, I was thinking about it and it occurred to me that a person can't change like that. I mean, it would require a mind-altering event of some kind, something huge that affects your brain in such a way that you become a different person than you were before. An event like this doesn't just happen, it's got to be something that other people notice or they can tell that something is wrong or just not right.
So with the probability of the event reduced, what else can be the cause of this change? I think it's not a change at all. A change as a person that is, a person can't change so much. It's just that the person has been what he/she is now, since the beginnning but those....ummm parameters of their personality have not yet displayed themselves completely. A person might be, according to you, sweet, adorable etc and might also be shrewd and manipulative at the same time, but you fail to see that side of their personality because it does not come into direct focus. A person can hide his true self only to a certain extent and by hide I don't mean hiding it intentionally, it's hiding it subconciously, suppressing your natural instincts because it doesn't feel good at some level. But these instincts, these traits can't be covered up completely. They're bound to show themselves in situations which involve people other than the ones being talked about here(the person who has "changed" and the person who thinks the other has 'changed"), third parties if I may. You're not part of the equation in these situations and so the hiding and the suppressing disappears and you get a glimpse of the real them. But these are exempted as special cases where the kind of behaviour shown was either warranted or couldn't be helped. This is getting a bit too confusing I guess. Engineering is finally showing it's effects.
What I mean to say is that people don't change(excluding the probability of THE EVENT), it's just your perception of them that changes. A person remains who he/she is, just the way you think about them changes. The changes in your perception reflect in your interaction with the person and that change leads to a change in the way that person interacts with you. So it's a sort of a change reaction(pun intended).
So with the probability of the event reduced, what else can be the cause of this change? I think it's not a change at all. A change as a person that is, a person can't change so much. It's just that the person has been what he/she is now, since the beginnning but those....ummm parameters of their personality have not yet displayed themselves completely. A person might be, according to you, sweet, adorable etc and might also be shrewd and manipulative at the same time, but you fail to see that side of their personality because it does not come into direct focus. A person can hide his true self only to a certain extent and by hide I don't mean hiding it intentionally, it's hiding it subconciously, suppressing your natural instincts because it doesn't feel good at some level. But these instincts, these traits can't be covered up completely. They're bound to show themselves in situations which involve people other than the ones being talked about here(the person who has "changed" and the person who thinks the other has 'changed"), third parties if I may. You're not part of the equation in these situations and so the hiding and the suppressing disappears and you get a glimpse of the real them. But these are exempted as special cases where the kind of behaviour shown was either warranted or couldn't be helped. This is getting a bit too confusing I guess. Engineering is finally showing it's effects.
What I mean to say is that people don't change(excluding the probability of THE EVENT), it's just your perception of them that changes. A person remains who he/she is, just the way you think about them changes. The changes in your perception reflect in your interaction with the person and that change leads to a change in the way that person interacts with you. So it's a sort of a change reaction(pun intended).
1 comment:
It really makes sense now
Post a Comment