Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Infosys - The awesome, the good, the bad and the ugly

After a tiring 6 hour journey (air+road) I finally reached my destination. I don't like air travel at all. But this place is so beautifully amazing, you have got to see it to believe it. There isn't a speck of dust even on the roads maybe because of the huge workforce that sweeps the entire place for every single particle. We (the guys) have been allotted single rooms of which the highlight is the Samsung LCD TV (all the girls are jealous of us, they have ancient flatrons). Its like a one bedroom flat without a refrigirator. Then there is the ECC (Employee Care Center) which is the best part of the campus. It has got TT, Badminton, Swimming Pool, Tennis Courts, Squash Courts, Pool & Snooker, Gym, Aerobics, Yoga, a Music room, Carrom, Basketball, Volleyball, Departmental Store, Bookstore, Saloon, Bank, Clinic and a few more things I can't recall right now. It is located adjacent to a four screen multiplex with a seating capacity of around 1500 people. And there is this place known as the Gazebo which I absolutely love. It's on a hill with bamboo plantations and a CCD outlet (wish smoking wasn't allowed). This was the awesome bit. And I'm getting paid to live here! Jealous already?

The good part includes the food courts and the room service. Anything wrong with anything in your room, just give them a call and it will be fixed immediately. The food courts serve a variety of stuff throughout the week, but everything has a South Indian touch to it. Don't get me wrong, the food is good and they make sure they serve you enough the first time so that you don't have to think about a second helping. Plus, we have 'home' delivery by Domino's and CCD's strewn all over the campus (and they are subsidised!). Also, the campus is huge and getting around means long walks or cycling (I like both). There are cycles everywhere, just pick one up and you're off.

The bad part is when you're competely exhausted and you have to cycle uphill. It isn't as easy as it looks, knocks the wind out of you. The next thing could be included in the ugly bit but that would just mean whining too much according to some people (Garima!). I have been allotted a newly consrtucted hostel in the extreme corner of the campus and it feels as if we are away from civilization. We don't have landline phones or air-conditioning for at least another month. Sometimes the water supply is stopped or the cable connection is not working. And it's uphill! There isn't a patch of greenery anywhere nearby and the french window in my room is always curtained because it overlooks the boundary wall. What a waste! And this is after I had specifically asked for a room in a different block (read pleaded). Guess what, shit happens! And I also don't like to go to faraway buildings for swiping in and out with our ID cards.

The ugly part is the queues. There are so many people here (thousands) that all I do somedays is stand in queue awaiting my turn to sign for attendance or get a recharge. We travel in queues and chunks of populace, from point A to point B, to do C or get our hands on D. And all that is left of my identity now is the pink card hung around my neck at all times (ALL THE TIME! except when I'm in my room) which carries my name.....errr sorry...my number. I have become a number now just like everyone else here. I guess that is how you manage a huge number of people. I absolutely hate having this thing hanging around my neck. It feels heavier than a 2kg gold chain with a peace symbol.

This week was spent in the multiplex but the screen was occupied with boring presentations about Infosys and everything in it, by evrything I mean everything. There were just on or two good sessions where we all got to shout and laugh but other than that we slept or listened to music or exchanged PJ's through messages. Old habits die hard! :P

Note: The frequency of my posts will further dip because using the Internet anywhere else except in your rooms (I don't have a laptop) or in the cyber cafe where I am right now is a punishable offence! Yes, the Internet!! I had started writing this post on Wednesday I guess and am completing it today, so you can understand how it is.

And I miss everyone at home and all my friends already, especially today. It's the weekend and I don't feel like going to the ECC (surprised?) but since there is nothing else to do will have to go there only. I also have to do my laundry today.

Will try and get photos somehow for the next post. I'm out of here. Later.

4 comments:

Garima said...

i dunno wat r u complaining abt!!! the place sounds awesome. if u thnk ur block is farwaya visit my office for a more braoder perspective!!!

ArkAngel said...

Sidiii!!!

We miss u too!! :(

j said...

no no stop complaining right now... the place sounds great..

happy said...

hey buddy..luks like ur havin a ball man..i knw stop complainin n start utilizing. damn we miss those gandi movies we saw together..n laughed all thru out it..dnt gt me wrong ppl.gandi=bakwaas acc2ppl. eg- i still rmmbr -white chickss..it was awesom fun mannn.me n u wer laughin out loud while the girls wer amused as to wat is phunny.. ;P
we're gona have some fun whn u visit next..til then..have fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails