Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Corruption?

NOTE: This post was written following the horrible events in Mumbai. There was a discussion in the forums here which prompted me to post this.

The term “corruption” is always decorated as being associated with only politicians, police and other such people in positions of authority. It is not something that comes with the job or just a result of money and power being in the wrong hands. Corruption, like everything else, is human nature and goes with the flow.

Standing in the unending queue at the multiplex or at the food courts, you allow your friends to cut in line. To you that is not corruption, after all it’s just a movie ticket/food coupon! A trivial example but similarly, for the people whom we are blaming for incompetence and being “corrupt”, it is “just a job”, “just a transfer”, “just a bomb blast” or “just a few 100 human lives”.

They are what they are because we are what we are. We give them the power, the authority and the money to do what they do. We are as much part of the cesspool as anyone else, including the terrorists wreaking havoc across the world.

We have decided to keep going with the flow and they decided to do something about it. There isn’t a lot of difference between these approaches because they’re means to the same end.

I’m not trying to glorify their “efforts”, this is just another perspective.

Easier said than done, I know. That’s why I too condemn these attacks like everyone else. I go with the flow.

May the souls of the departed rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's all we do and can do I think, go with the flow!

Related Posts with Thumbnails