Sunday, December 14, 2008

Swipe-stakes

I can't believe I'm at the Gecko at midnight after the kind of day I had. I've already explained about my out-standing performance in class today. I was so sleepy while doing the assignment today that I had to go and almost bathe myself to stay awake, twice. The drowsiness carried over till the end of "working hours" and for the first time since coming here I was in my room for more than two hours between 5 and 11 pm. Slept like an overgrown baby.

I was woken up by a flurry of worried messages due to my unexplained absence. It was pretty hard to go back to sleep after that, but I managed. Finally i had to get up to the calls of a dear friend from back home and my stomach. I felt rejuvenated to say the least. Went to my friend's room next door, told him we're going out to get dinner, called the dhaba and placed an extravagant order and then we were off. Since we were battling the 9.30 pm deadline we took an auto to and fro and were back at the room armed with a two plate dinner set and food which takes me back to my roots.

We ordered too much, I ate too much and there's still some of it left over. After that wholesome dinner I was reminded of the awful truth about me missing my "swipe-out". Now, living as I am in another timezone (block 87, most of you must have never heard of it, let alone seen it, but I can prove that it exists!), the task of hauling my overfed arse seemed like a job fit for none other than Hercules himself. But thanks to my most prized possession at this moment, a pair of Panasonic headphones, and the food that was refusing to budge from my oesophagus and move to the far reaches of my stomach, otherwise known as the "bottomless pit", I decided to take on the long journey anyway (as if I had a choice).

And here I am now, falling asleep again. Strong sense of Deja Vu. I have been in this position before, the class, the computer screen and my drooping eyelids....

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails