Note: Word limit for this post = 300 words.
Working with word limits has its pros and cons. When you don't know what you are writing about, for eg. end-semester exams, you tend to go on and on even with repetitions many times over (screw the word limit, bigger is better!). When you know exactly what you are writing about, word limits tend to get in the way because there is so much in your head and you want to get it all out. When you're writing about something you don't know anything about and generally dislike the topic also, word limits can be a pain in the ass, I'm talking about the limit which specifies a minimum amount of words. I had once written a couple of pieces about a topic I had no clue about and no interest in whatsoever (it was a paid job in case you're wondering why I did it). I had to dig into my deepest reserves of patience to get to the word limit. The deadline just added salt to my wounds. That was a particularly boring piece. It got better after that and got interesting too, but the word limit was still a pain. I've gotten used to it now and have found ways to play around with the limit, for eg. if something can be said in ten words but isn't helping you to get closer to the mark, say it in 30 words, add flowery adjectives, nouns, use commas, to make long sentences, give witty nothings (in brackets) and generally just keep going on and on and on, just like this. See it's so easy. But it is still a pain.
I think that should do. Will find out after the points table.
Points: __ invisible points to anyone who can guess how many of them are sitting on the blank. Negative points in next post for wrong guesses.
One-liner: "Life! Don't talk to me about life." - Marvin
And we have 346 words, including this line but not the final word about how I did.
Damn! It was close. Points Table got me.
Working with word limits has its pros and cons. When you don't know what you are writing about, for eg. end-semester exams, you tend to go on and on even with repetitions many times over (screw the word limit, bigger is better!). When you know exactly what you are writing about, word limits tend to get in the way because there is so much in your head and you want to get it all out. When you're writing about something you don't know anything about and generally dislike the topic also, word limits can be a pain in the ass, I'm talking about the limit which specifies a minimum amount of words. I had once written a couple of pieces about a topic I had no clue about and no interest in whatsoever (it was a paid job in case you're wondering why I did it). I had to dig into my deepest reserves of patience to get to the word limit. The deadline just added salt to my wounds. That was a particularly boring piece. It got better after that and got interesting too, but the word limit was still a pain. I've gotten used to it now and have found ways to play around with the limit, for eg. if something can be said in ten words but isn't helping you to get closer to the mark, say it in 30 words, add flowery adjectives, nouns, use commas, to make long sentences, give witty nothings (in brackets) and generally just keep going on and on and on, just like this. See it's so easy. But it is still a pain.
I think that should do. Will find out after the points table.
Points: __ invisible points to anyone who can guess how many of them are sitting on the blank. Negative points in next post for wrong guesses.
One-liner: "Life! Don't talk to me about life." - Marvin
And we have 346 words, including this line but not the final word about how I did.
Damn! It was close. Points Table got me.
No comments:
Post a Comment