Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Panda-monium

I'm sitting at home with nothing to do and therefore nothing to write. Following Tony Pierce's advice on How to Blog, I'm going to follow rule no. 22 and write a review of something, more specifically the last movie I saw.

It took around 4 hours to fully procure Kung Fu Panda from undisclosed sources. I've been a huge fan of Jack Black ever since I watched School of Rock. The starting sequence of the movie is the funniest by far with Jack doing an amazing job with the dialogues. In fact, he does an awesome job throughout the entire 90 minutes or so. Dustin Hoffman fits in perfectly as well. Angelina Jolie and Jackie Chan don't have a lot to say, both of them combined would amount to a minute or so.

The plot is fairly simple. A former student turns bad when he doesn't get to become the Dragon Warrior and decides to take it by force. He is defeated and imprisoned for a very long time. A Panda happens to drop in and is selected to become the Dragon Warrior "by accident" instead of the very famous Furious Five. The movie has a happy ending where everything falls into place.

It is genuinely funny in most places with a combination of slapstick physical comedy and the signature Jack Black cockiness. The animation is superb as usual and the action sequences are very well choreographed. But Jack steals the show totally.

I'll give it 4 stars * * * * out of 5. I have watched it twice already.

And that's it. What a boring review. The comments page invites you to write better ones.

P.S. - I don't think this is what Tony meant by just write dammit! In my defence this post took 3 hours to complete because of all the work related calls I'm getting. Some day off this is. Sigh.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails