Monday, September 22, 2008

R.I.P.

I was on my way to the office when dad called and told me to come back, my great grandmother had passed away this morning. She was 90 years old. I reached home, went to my grandparents' place to pick them up and then to my grandfather's brother's place where it happened. Needless to mention, traffic was horrendous and it was pretty hot too.

I remember meeting her a few times only. There is one very distinct memory and the other is not so distinct, the rest are based on what my grandma tells me. I remember her being very old and very very sweet. She wore thick glasses and a warm smile. I must've been 10 or 12 years old at that time. She was pretty healthy back then. I was showered with blessings and a big hug when I touched her feet. She had watched over me as I had lunch and ordered refills until she was satisfied that I had had a good meal. Another blessed shower and hug when I was leaving.

Today she looked really frail and almost beyond recognition. So much had changed in about ten years. This was the first time I had been to a cremation ground. The necessary rituals were performed and soon after she was at the pyre ready to pass through the pearly gates. There were moments when someone would just start crying and there were moments when everyone observed a solemn silence. The ladies had let out a huge wail when she was being lifted to be taken away and were generally in tears even when we got back from the cremation. I didn't cry but was really sad when the last rites were being performed. Gave me a new perspective towards life and it's importance to others around you.

It could just be my imagination but she still had that smile on her face.

Points: None.

One-liner: And she's climbing the stairway to heaven.



1 comment:

Childwoman said...

I pray for peace for her soul. God will take good care of her..my regards to your family at this trying time...
-childwoman-

Related Posts with Thumbnails